Opportunity Knocks

October 22, 2012

Recently I was diagnosed with pre-cancer colon cancer.  Only 13% of those in their 40's (me, I'm early 40's) are diagnosed with such.  Was I surprised?  Yes.  A bit scared?  Yes.  On treatment medication?  Yes.  Have an educated and talented doctor?  Yes!  Have you noticed how many famous quotes use doors to illustrate both opportunity as well as barriers in life?   I believe our ultimate success is a matter of how we see closed doors or even ones that get slammed in our face at times.   A wise saying goes something like “when one door closes, another opens.”  What is often not included from the remainder of this quote is “but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which is open for us."   In life, it takes actions in addition to faith to open doors.  Our attitude can lift our eyes to see the passage forward, whether through another door, or over a challenging mountain, or even through a valley of despair.  In the past, I’ve written about my own setbacks and disappointments.  As terrible as it feels at the time, my real challenge comes from whether I can get past my setbacks that occur in my life.  I mean, haven’t we all been our own worst enemy at times when it comes to dwelling on troubles or failures?  I know I have!

We’ve all felt a door or two close on part of our journey.  Maybe what we see as failures was only meant to lead us in another direction on a path to the happiness and success we seek.  I’ve noticed that the longer I look back, the less I can see what is still in front of me in life.  It is my hope that we can appreciate what we have and also see the abundant JOY that is in store for us when opportunity knocks. Because it will!
 
God Bless,


No comments: