FrankenBLOG

October 28, 2012

Sharpening the Saw

 
Amid the preparations and clamor over the "Frankenstorm" called Sandy, I've been taking stock in all the necessities to sustain comforts even if we lose access to modern conveniences.  It struck me that I was worried about trees falling on my car and home.  Who was worried about the trees, or animals that they harbored, if they fell?  Connecting with nature and all its wonders and excitement could easily be forgotten with all the concern over managing what is beyond our control.  I think my preparations could pay dividends, but was I really taking care of my happiness and sense of JOY with the approaching storm?
 
After what seemed like the 50th weather report and my review of my To Do list, it dawned on me that we have to take time out to feel the true power and JOY of life.  To endure the surprises and conquer all the assignments in life, we need to have a lot of energy and desire.  Dr. Covey described this in his famous book Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.  He termed his seventh habit "Sharpening the Saw."  Without stopping to care for the saw by oiling and sharpening the blade, we could end up spending a lot more energy to cut through those fallen trees.  It feels so hard to take a break when consumed by the hectic life most of us face.  Without rejuvenating our mind, body, soul, and relationships, we won't have the ability to produce all the golden eggs (successful outcomes) expected from busy geese.  Honk honk!
 
At this time last year, I created a bucket list for Fall.  Ironically, we had an early snowfall last October.  This year, we're facing the Frankenstorm.  I'm sharing some of my ideas for Sharpening MY Saw to regain perspective, renew strength, and revitalize JOY in our lives.  It is my hope and prayer that you enjoy these ideas and that you take the time to preserve and restore happiness in YOUR life.

  1. Exercise until exhausted
  2. Improve what you eat and drink
  3. Learn (read, listen to audio programs, attend a seminar)
  4. Think deeply about your motives
  5. Meditate and take a quiet moment away from distractions
  6. Write in your journal
  7. Have a deep conversation with someone
  8. Review your goals
  9. Organize your home, office, or calendar
  10. Go on a date that requires conversation and movement (dance, walk, play tennis)
  11. Clean some things off your plate (complete a task that you've been procrastinating)
  12. Let your worries go
  13. Connect with nature
God bless all of you who are about to endure (or have been enduring) the wrath of Hurricane Sandy.  It's just about to hit here in New Jersey.  I pray that my family, friends, and everyone will stay as safe as possible.  Godspeed!
 



No comments: