What do I have in common with Bret Michaels?

May 24, 2010

Well I never thought I would have anything in common with the newest winner of 'Celebrity Apprentice', Bret Michaels.  Most likely all of us have been following him in the news lately due to a myrid of medical problems that have landed him in the hospital on quite a few occassions.  First being a brain hemorrhage that left him clinging to life.  Second being a transient ischemic attack (TIA) or warning stroke, along with revealing that he has a hole in his heart.  Just like Bret, I too have suffered a transient ischemic attack, however not only did I have one, but I had two!

For those who are unfamiliar with TIA's, allow me to give you a very brief education about them..... a TIA is caused by the temporary disturbance of blood supply to an area of the brain, which results in a sudden, brief decrease in brain function. (A decrease in brain function is called a neurologic deficit.)  A TIA is different than a small stroke. The symptoms of TIA's do not last as long as a stroke and do not show changes on a CT or MRI scans. (Small strokes do show changes on such tests.)  A TIA is often considered a warning sign that a true stroke may happen in the future if something is not done to prevent it.  Symptoms begin suddenly, last only a short time (from a few minutes to 24 hours), and disappear completely.  They may occur again at a later time.  Symptoms usually occur on the same side of the body if more than one body part is involved.

My TIA's were due to my lupus and both occurred on the left side of my body.  As a result my left face cheek and my left toes are now numb and tingling.  Both of my TIA's occurred at work sitting at my desk.  There were no warning signs nor did I know what was happening when they were occurring.

Bret Michaels and myself are/could be no different than you!  If you suddenly experience any of the following symptoms, it is extremely important that you call 911 and seek medical help immediately. 

Muscle weakness of the face, arm, or leg (usually only on one side of the body)
Numbness or tingling on one side of the body
Trouble speaking or understanding others who are speaking
Problems with eyesight (double vision, loss of all or part of vision)
Changes in sensation, involving touch, pain, temperature, pressure, hearing, taste
Change in alertness (sleepiness, less responsive, unconscious, or coma)
Personality, mood, or emotional changes
Confusion or loss of memory
Difficulty swallowing
Difficulty writing or reading
Lack of coordination and balance, clumsiness, or trouble walking
Abnormal sensation of movement (vertigo) or dizziness
Lack of control over the bladder or bowels
Inability to recognize or identify sensory stimuli

With stroke being the #3 cause of death in the United States, it's very important that you treat a TIA as a warning of something much bigger to possibly come.  Please visit the American Heart Assocation website to learn more about what you can do if you or a loved one suddenly experiences a TIA.  Don't wait, learn about it NOW!

No comments: